Feature request: Store configuration in solutionfile

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Hi,

I am using the Build Version Increment (BVI) for some time and it proofs to be a great asset every day.

There is however one thing that bugs me. I use Subversion as Revision Control system and one of the features of SVN is to include a project in a solution via svn:externals.

For the project I include this way, I also use Build Version Increment to adjust the Build number. However, I do not want the build-number to change when the project is just included in another solution.

Only when I open the project's own solution, the Build-number should be adjusted accordingly.

I was wondering if it is possible to store the BVI configuration in the solutionfile instead of the projectfile, or maybe in another separate file that goes with each solution?

TIA

Developer
Jul 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Hi,

In my opinion those information you're talking about can't be stored in the solution file. As I know solution file isn't a valid MSbuild script file and does not allow to put build tasks inside.

I think this could be solved any way using another approach. Build tasks could have conditionals so there could be a new field in BVI configuration dialog where you could put a custom conditional like Condition="$(SolutionName) == 'your solution name'" or something similar. You need to check which variables like SolutionName are available and could be used to build such conditional. Worst thing right now is that BVI uses project extension and not a build tasks but I think this could be easily changed. So please make a feature request to BVI so it could take advantage of such build task or write and make changes yourself. I have a min knowledge of MSB so I can't help you more right now.

Regards,

Krzysztof Blacha

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Hi one_eddie,
Thanks for your response. How do I make a feature request?
TIA,
Huberto