I think one thing need to be still changed

Developer
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM
I'm very happy about your plugin, but one thing is still bothering me.
Right now plugin does:

1. Check out file
2. Compare version
3. Update if needed

I think it should check out a bit later. In detail i think it should work like this:

0. Dont run if no changes were made to the source (maybe an option if we need to update always)
1. Ensure we have latest version of the file, if not download from source control
2. Compare version
3. If different, checkout
4. Update version

What do you think about that?
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Hi,

the version 2.0 (beta) does not handle sourcecontrol anymore but lets the IDE take care of it. I've only tested this so far with Visual Studio 2008 and subversion.

Cheers.
Developer
Jun 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Hi,

I found two similar topics:

http://autobuildversion.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=55516

http://autobuildversion.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=60433

They all have the same idea which was described by me in the first message (above).

Right now when project is compiled the version is always updated. I still think it should be only updated when the project has changed. I don't see an example where It should be updated always. The easiest way is to add an option to the configuration dialog. Right now I do not see how this could be implemented.

Do you have any idea how this could be solved? Will you implement it?

Regards,

Krzysztof Blacha

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hi,

I will take a look into this when I've got some time (quite bussy lately). Not sure yet how to check this, tho. So if someone knows a lean and mean way to check for project changes, let me know. Saves me some time :)

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Hi,

(I also posted in Issue Tracker)  I believe this is somewhat related.  When I do a Build (not a Rebuild), it's still updating the version on projects that have no source code change?

Thank you.

Developer
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I'm really dissapointed about the way the BVI works right now I mean updating non changed projects.

My projects are growing and the build time is to expensive. I will try to spend few hours and find a solution to solve this problem. Before I do that has anyone already found a solution for this issue?

Regards,

Krzysztof Blacha

Developer
Jan 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Hi,

I've added few lines of code I think I finally made it work. Does the latest changes work with your project?

Please check the latest changes and share your thoungts with me.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Blacha