Separate Build version and Revision version?

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Maybe you should consider splitting the Revision build versioning out and give it it's own little dropdown box?

Right now there is DeltaBaseDate, DeltaBaseYear, YearDayOfYear_Timestamp, YearDayOfYear_AutoIncrement and AutoIncrementBuildVersion. The two delta styles both use timestamps, but what if some dimwit (i.e. me) comes along and suggests you implement DeltaBaseDate with auto incrementing Revision numbers instead of timestamps... Then another dimwit comes along and wants DeltaBaseYear with auto increment... And then someone else comes along and suggest a whole new Build versioning style, but wants it to come with timestamp, while someone else wants it with auto increments...

If there is one option for Build versioning and one for Revision versioning, and they both populate all the styles, then everyone can mix and match styles as they see fit. Then if someone comes along with a new Build style or Revision style, you don't have to add multiple styles just to cover all bases... Only one.

So basically you'd have:

• DeltaBaseDate
  • DeltaBaseYear
  • YearDayOfYear
  • Timestamp
  • AutoIncrement

Now if I want to add Timestamps in my build versioning, and auto increments in my revision, I'm free to do so. Or if I want DeltaBaseDate in my build and auto increment in my revisions... Or if I want timestamp in both (for that ultimate silly versioning feeling), I can do that too!

Just a thought.

Ps. Some styles I'd like to see are x.x.AutoIncrement.Timestamp, x.x.AutoIncrement.YearDayOfYear,  x.x.DeltaBaseDate.AutoIncrement and x.x.DeltaBaseYear.AutoIncrement.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I'll add this in the next release. Not sure when that is tho ...

Ps. Thanks for the review :)
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM
That sounds great.

I forgot to mention that you're doing a stellar job on this project. The built-in auto incrementing in Visual Studio was driving me crazy, and I was really happy when I found your project on codeplex. It's exactly what I was looking for, and far better then some of the other alternatives I found.

Thanks for all your efforts!
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Just uploaded v2.0, which includes this feature.
I'm thinking about extending this so that users can supply their own version of IVersionIncrementer.

Cheers!