Do I really need a tool for this?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2009 at 9:02 AM
"Somehow Visual Studio doesn't come with an option to auto increment the build version of the AssemblyFileVersion attribute. Sure, you can place an * in the AssemblyVersion attribute but this updates only the assembly version and this can be a pain when you're using signed assemblies. And even when you want to change the version number of the assembly you probably want to keep that in sync with the file version."

This is not correct! Visual Studio does auto increment the AssemblyFileVersion if you want to.
Simply open your AssemblyInfo.cs file, set the "AssemblyVersion" attribute (e.G. to "1.0.*"), delete the "AssemblyFileVersion" attribute from your AssemblyInfo.cs file. Now, after compiling the binary file you will notice that "AssemblyVersion" and "AssemblyFileVersion§ are set to the same auto increment value.

In my point of view there is nothing this tool can do for me what Visual Studio can't do .
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM
"Simply open your AssemblyInfo.cs file, set the "AssemblyVersion" attribute (e.G. to "1.0.*"), delete the "AssemblyFileVersion" attribute from your AssemblyInfo.cs file. Now, after compiling the binary file you will notice that "AssemblyVersion" and "AssemblyFileVersion§ are set to the same auto increment value."

That's correct. But there's no option to increment only the file version of an assembly and if you're using signed assemblies and you change the AssemblyVersion attribute requires that you'll rebuild all your assemblies that link to this one. Which can be a pain on large projects. In general you only want to change the assembly version when there's a breaking change.

Another thing that's not possible is to only increment the version on certain target builds (e.g. release or debug).