Update for Visual Studio 2013

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I created a version for Visual Studio 2013.

Please contact me and I will send the link for the download to the zip file.

I am not an anything on this site, so I cannot add to the downloads.

Procedure:
1) Close out of all Visual Studio instances
2) Open the VSI file
3) You will get 2 message boxes complaining about whatnot. Press the okay button on both
4) Start Visual Studio

Notes:
  1. The current implementation is not what I would even qualify as alpha state, but it works. I was shocked to see that what I did worked, especially after reading that Microsoft changed the way developers have to create add-ins for Visual Studio. This project uses a method that no longer works, but...
  2. I am working on a cleaner version and one that works, so stay tuned. When I complete the code, I will maintain it for future releases of Visual Studio. It really is a handy little thing.
  3. I am not sure that continuing this specific project or branching off is the right way. I have to think on that as I get further along in my spare time development.
  4. As long as I am in the coding stage, let me know any missing features. No promises on that, but we shall see.
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Based on the same code base as 2010 and 2012 (2.5) I have made a 2013 version.
Here you can find the installer
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Dear Mam/Sir,

Currently you can hear frantic applause from me for taking up the effort to bring this absolute astonishing tool forward to VS 2013.
One could say that I depend on it and not using VS 2013 yet, entirely depends on this little piece of software.

tyvm
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
As long as I can see, the add-in installs fine, but it does not work correctly.
It never detects changes to the project file, so version is not updated correctly.

Does anyone experience the same issue? By the way, the verbose log does not show anything relevant...
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Hello,

Sorry for the delay, not a regularly monitored email address of mine.

Here is the code. Please let me know how it works for you.

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Weinberger
Butterflyvista Corporation

Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:01 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Update for Visual Studio 2013 [autobuildversion:464462]

Dear Mam/Sir,

Currently you can hear frantic applause from me for taking up the effort to bring this absolute astonishing tool forward to VS 2013.
One could say that I depend on it and not using VS 2013 yet, entirely depends on this little piece of software.

tyvm

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Hello,

As a thank you if it works, please connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse me for some skills, preferably C#, .Net, Winforms, ASP.Net, and of course software development.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sweinberger/

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Weinberger

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 1:14 AM

It never detects changes to the project file, so version is not updated correctly.

Does anyone experience the same issue? By the way, the verbose log does not show anything relevant...

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Hello,

As a thank you if it works, please connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse me for some skills, preferably C#, .Net, Winforms, ASP.Net, and of course software development.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sweinberger/

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Weinberger

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 1:14 AM

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Hello,
how can I install a .vsi file? I have installed Visual Studio 2013 professional, but when I open the file with VS it just shows me the data of the file (like I open it with notepad). What to do?
Jan 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM
The so-called VS 2013 .vsix installer installed for VS 2010 and 2012, but not into VS 2013.

So I added the files manually to one of the standard Addin folders (configurable through Tools -> Options ->Environment -> Add-in Security. Tools -> AddIn Manager would then show me the BuildVersionIncrement AddIn.

I enabled it, configured the Settings through the tools menu, made changes to one of my projects, rebuilt, and ... nothing. The build output says
BuildVersionIncrement: Post-build process : Completed
but the version numbers in AssemblyInfo.cs never change.

I then enabled the verbose log of BuildVersionIncrement, made more changed to the project to trigger an increment, but was told that
BuildVersionIncrement: Project '....' not modified
Anyone got this to work? If so, then how?
Jan 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
It could be a problem already present in previous versions and not connected directly to vs2013.
To force the update tries to do a cleanup of the solution and then rebuild. While not the best solution usually this works.
Jan 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
I finally got the version numbers to change. I did a global clean of all projects and a rebuild, but still no dice.

Then in Tools -> BuildVersionIncrement -> Settings -> Global Settings I set "Apply Global Settings" to AsDefault instead of Always. That did the trick after I made some trivial changes to the code of one of the projects to trigger an increment.

Maybe this helps someone else.
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Hi Sarah,

I am having difficulty creating the BuildVersionIncrement AddIn for Visual Studio 2013. Could you send me the latest version?

Some suggestions:
  • The default for "Assembly Info Filename" is always "$(ProjectDir)AssemblyInfo.vb" (for VB.Net). Could this be set by default?
  • In addition to "None" could there be an option "Blank" for Revision? This would eliminate the ".0" at the end of the Version Number.
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM
mauromaniforti wrote:
Based on the same code base as 2010 and 2012 (2.5) I have made a 2013 version.
Here you can find the installer
Your link is broken, pls fix it.
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Anyone else getting this error upon installing?
Mar 6, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Hey,

I got my version working by simply creating a folder called Addins under documents\visual studio 2013 and copied my build version increment files from my vs 2012\addins folder.
Regards,
Willie

Sent from my iPhone

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM
wcmoorejr wrote:
Hey, I got my version working by simply creating a folder called Addins under documents\visual studio 2013 and copied my build version increment files from my vs 2012\addins folder. Regards, Willie Sent from my iPhone
Willie,

That worked, thanks! Now I can officially retire VS2012.
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM
I installed it by copying it to my documents/addins, it showed up in add-ins, I enabled it. Then I restarted VS 2013.
Now it shows up on top of the tools list, with a submenu "check for new version" but I can't actually get to the add in itself.

Any ideas how to get it running?

Thanks,

Mani
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Hi jcapellman and others,
Sorry for the delay, just do not check this account that often.
The old build version increment and the one that I updated, which you have not tried, is not designed for VS2013. Microsoft changed the underlying API structure. The one that I updated marginally works better, depending upon one's definition. It installs, just crashes later, basically useless.
The solution, which I will undertake, is to write an update, just I have to finish a couple of tasks first and then I can start on that task. Tweaking an existing code and writing one from scratch are two different things.
Keep in touch.
The best way to keep in touch with me is to connect with me on LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sweinberger
Anyone wishing an update and to be notified, please contact me with your info and I will create a list and update people as I make progress.
Thanks,
Sarah

Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:34 PM

Anyone else getting this error upon installing?
Jun 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM
It installs to the wrong location.

It installs to
D:\UserName\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Addins
instead of
D:\UserName\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Addins

copy it over, fixed !
Jun 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I got it to work with VS2013 as well, but went through a few additional steps. Just copying the VS 2010 version across didn't work.

Download the sources, change the project to compile for .NET 4 instead of .NET 2. Compile.

In the Install directory, double-click BuildVersionIncrement_VS2010.VSI. It'll put the results in your My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins directory. Copy that entire directory structure to My Documents\Visual Studio 2013.

In My Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Addins, edit BuildVersionIncrement.Addin to change the version from 10.0 to 12.0.

Start VS2013 (or Restart if you had it running). It should be available as an add-in now.

Would be nice if this gets re-written as a VSPackage, but this will do for now.
Jun 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Thanks Andy.
I started on the real solution, so am part way now, just got sidetracked (again), but will go back to the project soon.
thanks, Sarah.

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:02 PM

I got it to work with VS2013 as well, but went through a few additional steps. Just copying the VS 2010 version across didn't work.

Download the sources, change the project to compile for .NET 4 instead of .NET 2. Compile.

In the Install directory, double-click BuildVersionIncrement_VS2010.VSI. It'll put the results in your My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins directory. Copy that entire directory structure to My Documents\Visual Studio 2013.

Edit BuildVersionIncrement.Addin to change the version from 10.0 to 12.0.

Start VS2013 (or Restart if you had it running). It should be available as an add-in now.

Would be nice if this gets re-written as a VSPackage, but this will do for now.
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Version for VS2013.

Sarah:
  1. As mentioned above, it is necessary to manually create the addin directory and copy the files manually.
  2. As mentioned above, It is necessary to change something in the source code for it to increment. NEW: Changing the option to true or false makes no difference
  3. As mentioned above, it is necessary to change the default to use Global settings. Individual project settings no longer work.
I have perused the source code which is now well out of date. Can't you update the source code to the currently available version and then allow others to fix what appears to be minor issues. I would try myself however I have no experience with VS addins so it would require a great deal of time for me to learn the basics to enable me to fix what appears to be simple issues.

AndyInAtl:

Presumably what you did eliminates the bugs as mentioned above. I'll give that a try.
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:57 AM
AndyInAtl:

That seems to have done the trick.

Thanks.