Global Settings and Can't update build version for a solution without specifying an assembly info file

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I'm using version 2.5.11231.2247, and I've created a Global Settings configuration for Update AssemblyFileVersion: true, Update AssemblyVersion: True, Start Date: 10/1/2011, and Versioning Style: None.None.Increment.None

In my solution, a simple console app, I've selected 'Use Global Settings' for both the solution (not sure I need to do this) and the Project. It was my impression that I do not need to set the 'Assembly Info Filename' as it will use AssemblyInfo.* as a default. When I change something and build, I get the error 'Can't update build version for a solution without specifying an assembly info file'.

After playing around, I found that you don't actually need to make any settings at the Solution level. I'm a little fuzzy as to why the solution is listed and seems to have settings different than the projects below it, but if you set the solution to 'Use Global Settings' you get the error. It might have something to do with the solution not having a ProjectKind.

So if you see this error, reset the solution settings back to defaults and the set the project(s) to use the global settings.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM

hmm i was getting that message after the counter started working for me... then wanted to do as you suggest to rid myself of those errors... and now the counter doesn't work again.   nothing i do will get it working.  This is getting really annoying.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I think this is the odd part..
i explicitly go and add dummy code to my project.

i rebuild

the log says.

[Debug] Checking project 'AppZoneFinder'...
[Debug] Last Build:11/22/2011 11:54:52 AM (C:\VS\AppZoneFinder\AppZoneFinder\bin\Debug\AppZoneFinder.exe)
[Debug] Project's ('AppZoneFinder') item 'Program.cs' is modified. Version will be updated.
[Debug] Solution/Folder 'AppZoneFinder' is not modified
[Info] Pre-build process : Completed
[Debug] BuildEvents_OnBuildDone scope: vsBuildScopeSolution action vsBuildActionBuild
[Info] Post-build process : Completed
[Debug] Clearing date and solution cache

But the version of the project and file is not 'updated'

I have both the solution and the project set to Use Global Settings True.

I have the global setting to ALWAYS apply global settings.

that doesn't work... i've tried changing the project to Use global false... and set the assemblyfileversion, assembly version to true.   with the versioning style i want.

nothing.