Problem with VS2010

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I am using visual studio 2010 Professional with windows 7 32 bit service pack 1. 

I downloaded the build version increment addin for vs2010 (version .2045(beta)) and it shows the  tools menu

I have tried multiple options from the menu, including choosing  any configuration name, both for build action, and true for increment before build.  i have both left assebly info filename blank and directed it to assemblyinfo.vb for the simple project i am testing it with.  i have chosen update assembly version true, and assemblyfile version false (although i have tried other permutations).  the versioning style is none, none, increment, time stamp.

when i build and install, there is no change in the assembleinfo.vb file nor in the about box showing the version.  nothing changes.

if i manually change the values in assemblyinfo.vb either by typing the values in on the line 

<Assembly: AssemblyVersion("11.07.02.02")

for example, it works fine or if i put in the values manually in the project tab and assembly information button, but i cannot get this program to input values.

Is there something i have overlooked?

thanks for your input

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Yes, and version increment enabled was indeed checked.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Magic.  Just like prior June 16 post on this board, today it began to work perfectly.  Like many things in the universe, I do not understand this, but thank you.

Developer
Oct 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Great to hear you finally make it work :)

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Using the 2.5 beta version (tryed 2.4 too) I found I had to change 'Increment before build' to false. So Version number in Project is always 1 behind, though it's no big issue when working with increment not Date or Time values.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I'm experiencing same problem, no incrementing happening..   I have tried the increment before build to false 'trick', but that doesn't help.

i'm on vs2010 i'm using the 2.5 beta.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

There is something seriously fishy with this app.   As with the other ppl on this thread, next day this addin mysteriously started working.   I had rebooted, restarted VS2010 (toggled that option mentioned by other poster) all throughout the day yesterday.  No good.  I left VS open with my project open overnight, and this morning (i ran a build just for the hell of it), all of a sudden it works.    Is this thing timing out?  or trying to access internet for something?  does it access a time server?   What i did notice though... I only rebuilt the project Once this morning. But the counter (had it on increment) was at 12.  Telling me, that it 'had' recognized that i tried rebuilding the project that many times, but never actually accomplished the task yesterday, or had queued up the 'requests'. 

Can the developers shed any light?  

tx

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Ok, it broke again for some reason.    as soon as i changed a setting of what to increment... now it doesn't work again.   

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM
appWoW wrote:

Ok, it broke again for some reason.    as soon as i changed a setting of what to increment... now it doesn't work again.   

nvrm this time my fault.  but still get the error the other poster listed, "Can't update build version ..." when building.   Can't see to get out of this.. and it won't let u build.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM
appWoW wrote:

There is something seriously fishy with this app.   As with the other ppl on this thread, next day this addin mysteriously started working.   I had rebooted, restarted VS2010 (toggled that option mentioned by other poster) all throughout the day yesterday.  No good.  I left VS open with my project open overnight, and this morning (i ran a build just for the hell of it), all of a sudden it works.    Is this thing timing out?  or trying to access internet for something?  does it access a time server?   What i did notice though... I only rebuilt the project Once this morning. But the counter (had it on increment) was at 12.  Telling me, that it 'had' recognized that i tried rebuilding the project that many times, but never actually accomplished the task yesterday, or had queued up the 'requests'. 

Can the developers shed any light?  

tx

I see that there is a "Use a UTC time stamp"  ... i have it false... but is there a bug perhaps that the tool tries to contact this server no matter what on initial installation?  would explain why everyone seems to get this addin running 'next day'.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Doesn't work for me in VS2010 either.

Developer
Dec 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I use BVI in daily work and unfortunately I do not see any issues when using my VS2010. If any solution seems to not work with latest BVI please create an issue report and attach problematic project. I will try recreate the issue and fix it.

Best regards, Krzysztof

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I think I know what it was in my case ...

It seems that one needs to pre-put in the AssemblyFileVersionAttribute manually to begin with, and then it will be changed by BVI once you build once. If you don't, BVI will not create it and hence not change anything either.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hi,

Same here, VS201.

I copied a project and then it stoped working last 3rd of Januari... it had worked for months, suddenly (both projects, original and copy) did not increment at all. changing something in the AssemblyInfo.vb works. I've resetted the guid and set the versions to 0,0,0,0 but no luck...

new projects work fine indeed.

Erik

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I found several messages like this one on the Log tab of the Build Version Increment Settings v2.4 dialog when i build my project:

[Debug] File 'Configuration' was not found

The problem is that Configuration is not a file but a folder which is nested in another folder. Thus when i change a file contained in this folder (for example 'MySolution\MyProject\Controls\Configuration\SomeFile.cs') BVI will never find that it was changed because it thinks that 'Configuration' is a file.

So BVI works fine when there are no nested folders in solution.

ps: BVI 2.4.11046.2045 beta, Visual Studio 2010.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

As there is no answer from the author.. I solved the previously reported problem by adding a check for nested folders to the CheckProjectItem method of the BuildVersionIncrementor.cs file:

/// <summary>
/// Method returns true if project item was modified
/// </summary>
private bool CheckProjectItem(ProjectItem item, DateTime outputFileDate)
{
     // {{ here starts the check
     // Nested PhysicalFolder or VirtualFolder
     if (item.Kind == "{6BB5F8EF-4483-11D3-8BCF-00C04F8EC28C}" || item.Kind == "{6BB5F8F0-4483-11D3-8BCF-00C04F8EC28C}")
     {
         foreach (ProjectItem innerItem in item.ProjectItems)
         {
             if (CheckProjectItem(innerItem, outputFileDate))
             {
                 Logger.Write(String.Format("Item '{0}' is modified. Version will be updated.", item.Name), LogLevel.Debug);
                 return true;
             }
          } 
          return false;
      }
      // }} end of the check

hope it will be helpful :-)

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

It was not udpating any files when I set the

Global Settings -> Apply Global Settings 

to any thing else other than "OnlyWhenChosen"

It was annoying me for half an hour then finnlly after trial and error i go to a configuration that plays safe.

Set the `Global Settings` to what you want the project to update to

Then in `Solution` Tab

For each solution just apply the `Use Global Settings = True` .. and leave the rest in those tabs as default.

Now any Solution that i modify will increment propelry and use a datestamp independantly

Also using source safe.. Was moaning about editing in memory.. just selected never to show screen again. Not brilliant but got annoying.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I currently have my options set to:

Global Settings ->
Apply Global Settings -> OnlyWhenChosen
Update AssemblyFileVersion -> True
Update AssemblyVersion -> True
Versioning Style ->  None.None.YearDayOfYear.TimeStamp  

Solution -> Project1:
Increment Settings ->
Use Global Settings -> False
Update AssemblyFileVersion -> True
Update AssemblyVersion -> True
Versioning Style ->  None.None.MonthStamp.TimeStamp

Solution -> Project2:
Increment Settings ->
Use Global Settings -> True

As everyone else is seeing, this doesn't work......until! I'm not sure why it is this way, but if I Clean my project or solution, then do a Build/Rebuild, the version numbers increment as expected.

Results (I used 2 different versioning styles just to make sure the options were working):
Both compiled today (2/23/2012) at 1:58PM.
Project 1 -> AssemblyVersion = 1.0.2.1358, AssemblyFileVersion = 1.0.2.1358
Project 2 -> AssemblyVersion = 1.0.12054.1358, AssemblyFileVersion = 1.0.12054.1358

Hope this helps :)

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem as those listed here, I only get an increment after performing a clean before a build (VS2010 SP1). That's using the recompiled version from the comments on the front page, with the standard version it didn't work at all. Is this project still in development? Is there likely to be a new version to fix this stuff? It would be great if it worked.

Cheers

Ed