A project's assembly versions are only changed if the project has been modified.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Can this be made into a setting?  I want to keep all the versions the same for my group of components (even if they have not changed).  If component A is 1.0 then B, C, D are 1.0  If I release a new version of component A, 1.1 then B,C,D are rebuilt as 1.1 also.  There is no question if we are on the latest release as they are all the same.

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM

You can do this by sharing assembly information between the projects. 

http://autobuildversion.codeplex.com/releases/view/45575

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I'll look into it (for now, I've reverted to 2.3).  With this type of change (unless I'm in the minority) I would think to keep this addin as configurable as possible a setting would be appropriate, there are many settings already (Increment after build, etc).    Then there is no issue, increment all or increment changed only based on what you need/like.

Developer
Feb 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Even I was thinking of this setting because at times this is required behavior. But I am confused about what scope this setting should have? Solution/Project level or addin level. I am more in favor of making it an addin scope setting, like "Version Increment Setting". Please share your opinions.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Can you explain what the difference between Solution/Project level versus Addin Level?  I think addin level would suffice (is this the same level where we can set the property of "Increment After Build"?)

Developer
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

"Increment After Build" is a Solution/Project level property. If you load a new solution, it will be replaced by the value of the same property of that solution.

Addin level property is only one: Version Increment Setting. If you uncheck this property, it won't change no matter what project you load. It is found in the lower left corner when you open the BVI window from tools.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

If you have a solution open, you may have 10 different projects and some of them you may want to increment on change only and some you may want to increment as a whole.  So solution/project would be ideal and default the setting to only increment on change so that out of the box it caters to the majority.

Developer
Feb 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM

OK. Will look into.

May 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Edited May 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

any updates on this as of May?  Having this as a setting would be really helpful, because there's scenarios in which i need to use a mix of both.

for the time being, im having to make a useless comment in each project (over 40 projects) so that it will increment the build number :)

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I have a slightly different scenario. I have several projects in different solutions. When releasing a new version of one of the projects, I want the version to reflect the day of the release to QA. I have no problem opening all the modified projects and running another build. My problem is like the OP. I have to make an insignificant change to trigger the update. 

I would love to have a setting, either on a global level or solution/project level, where I can set it to always increment.

Developer
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Shmuly wrote: "I would love to have a setting, either on a global level or solution/project level, where I can set it to always increment."

So please add new feature request to issue tracker will try look into and implement it.

Regards,

Krzysztof