Synchronizing with ApplicationVersion

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Hi - great tool. I have been using a similar home-spun tool for the last couple of years now. It did the job but didn't have the features you have built in.

Over the last couple of days I have been trying to figure out a way to keep AssemblyVersion/AssemblyFileVersion in sync with the ApplicationVersion exposed by the Click-once publish manager. I haven't had any luck with it, and was hoping to create a feature request.

Here's my scenario. No matter what major/minor version of the application, I always increment build number. To me, major/minor indicates what feature set is available, and build number indicates the number of release build I have created. For example, one product I have been working on for four years is now at version 2.4 (build 1955). This application is deployed using click-once with auto-increment of revision enabled. This application is now at revision 595. So the total version number is v 2.4 release 595 (build 1955). The AssemblyVersion is 2.4.1955.595.

The feature I would like to see is for the incrementer to keep the AssemblyVersion revision number in sync with the Click-Once Publisher ApplicationRevision number, and to keep the Click-Once Publisher build number in the ApplicationVersion in sync with the AssemblyVersion build number. Even without the incrementer add-in, this is a pain to keep in sync since they are stored separately (why, oh why???).

I haven't had any luck doing this. I can get the ApplicationRevision number ok, but I can't set the ApplicationVersion and have the project keep it. I have some sample code for extracting the ApplicationRevision and ApplicationVersion from a Project instance if you are interested.

Cheers

Paul G

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry ... I have to admit I've never ever looked at Click-Once applications and I don't have a clue, but you could probably transform that sample code into a plugin which you can use. The source code contains a sample project called SampleIncrementor.

Cheers. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Hi Paul,

Can you mail the code to justjammin attherate jagotagroup dot com?