Usage from TFS build ?

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM

In a Team Foundation Server 2008 based team build I'm using several VS2008 solution with multiple projects. In each solution I've configured the projects to use my global settings to use my version scheme for the AssemblyFileVersion.

This works well, when I'm compiling the solutions manually from VS2008 but not, if the solutions will be compiled from the team build via msbuild. The build process / service is using the same user account.

Has anyone tried this with TFS team build ? Or is it only possible to use this add-in running VS interactively ?

Kind regards,
Robert.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:46 AM

I'd be interested to know this as well.  Are there any developers monitoring the discussion forum?

Normally develop in VS but build the deployment (along with running all tests, building documentation etc) using an MSBuild script.

Is this add-in only for VS?

Thanks.

John.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Anyone have an answer or update?

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Unfortunatly not.

Meanwhile I'm using another technique. After compiling every project from my team build, I'm using a small tool (written inside my company) which sets the file version and other attributes (like compyright, company) of every assembly to similar values after incementing the build number and resigns the assemblies with the strong name again. Not a very nice solution and this ignores possibly later changes made on a developer machine because only the team build binaries are handled by this process. Nevertheless, this is not really a problem, because every assembly which will be used by a customer will be created using the team build.

Kind regards,
Robert.