A couple of doubts

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I've made a FlashDevelop plugin based on the Build Version Increment Add-In. Initially, I made a plugin which was a lot more different than yours, but then decided to take a more similar approach, and in fact, a lot of the code is just a copy & paste.

The reason of this is BaseIncrementor and wanting to be able to use most plugins made by other developers. However, since BaseIncrementor is inside the add-in assembly, it makes it "harder" to reuse others' plugins. All of this brought me two questions and choices:

- Is the license and copy & paste of AutoVersion good enough, or do you want me to add some special header to the files?

- Could you extract BaseIncrementor to another assembly?

I though I could add a reference to your assembly, and work with it as well, would that be a better idea for you?

You can see it here: http://code.google.com/p/autoversion/

Thank you for your time.

May 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM
Hi, sorry for this late reply. You're free to copy & paste the code as long as you give us some kudos for it (a link to this project page will do fine). I'm actually not quite sure how you would reuse this code without making some modification. I'm thinking of moving a lot of code into a separate assembly, so that it can also be used in combination with MSBuild. Problem is that I don't have the time in the near future to do this refactoring.
May 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I added kudos to BVI on both the homepage and the FAQ page back in the day, but the code itself doesn't have it. I could add whatever header you'd want.

I think that moving the Incrementors namespace to its own assembly would be enough to be able to reuse them, at least for the time being. I just copy & pasted the classes in there, and for using Happy Turtle just had to remove the reference to BuildVersionIncrement.dll and add AutoVersion.dll, so if those classes were extracted, that wouldn't be even needed.